BMTA ACTIVITY CALENDAR
BMTA normally schedules four or five hikes per month, some “leisure” hikes that are shorter and easier and some 5 to 8 miles and of moderate difficulty. In addition, we have occasional backpacking hikes and more difficult ones that might be called “hardy hikes.” Occasionally we co-sponsor hikes with other organizations. Some, but not all, of our hikes are “dog friendly.” Although more hikes are in Georgia than the other states, you will find hikes in all three BMT states: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
GA February 13 Work Trip
Where: Section 1a, 1b and 1c — Springer Mountain >> Three Forks.
Meet: 9:00 AM Big Stamp Gap BMT Parking Lot on FS42.
Plan for the Day: Brushing, Lopping, Tread Improvement, Water Bar Cleanout.
What to Bring: Minimum 2 liters of water, long pants, boots, gloves, helmets and lunch/snack.
Plan for the Day: We plan to remediate some water diversions on this very popular section of the trail. We will have four crews working.
- Crew 1: Springer Mountain to Big Stamp Gap (1.7 miles).
- Crew 2: Big Stamp to 2nd Cross Trails (2.2 miles).
- Crew 3: 2nd Cross Trails to Three forks. (2.1 miles).
- Crew 4: Will return to the 2a boardwalk to finish adding the railing to the boardwalk.
Contact: Crew Leader Bob Cowdrick at GAMaintDirector@bmtamail.org, (404) 431-5353 or complete the form below to sign up for this trip.
RSVP: Please be sure to RSVP so we can plan for tools and other PPE
• If you believe you are in a high risk group, please evaluate whether going on this maintenance trip is worth the potential risk.
• Individuals should consider whether carpooling is increasing his / her personal risk.
• Masks are optional, but social distancing should be maintained as much as possible.
• We will not have food at the conclusion of the work trip.
• Crews have a maximum of 10 (including the leaders).
• Multiple crews can operate at the same time, but they must be working in different locations.
BMTA members and guests must recognize there are risks and responsibilities involved and be willing to assume these risks. In order to participate, members and guests are required to sign a waiver of liability at the beginning of each BMTA event. If the parent does not accompany a minor, the disclaimer for minors must be signed in advance.