BMTA ACTIVITY CALENDAR
BMTA normally schedules four or five hikes per month, some “leisure” hikes that are shorter and easier and some 5 to 8 miles and of moderate difficulty. In addition, we have occasional backpacking hikes and more difficult ones that might be called “hardy hikes.” Occasionally we co-sponsor hikes with other organizations. Some, but not all, of our hikes are “dog friendly.” Although more hikes are in Georgia than the other states, you will find hikes in all three BMT states: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
- This event has passed.
GA September 12 Work Trip
Where: Section 9 – Dyer Gap to Watson Gap
When: Saturday, September 12, 2020
Meet: 8:30 Home Depot (10012 Blue Ridge Drive, Blue Ridge, GA 30513) parking lot (near Dairy Queen) … or … 9:00 Watson Gap.
Plan for the Day: Water Diversions, and Brushing.
What to Bring: Minimum 2 liters of water, long pants, boots, gloves, and lunch / snack.
We will split into teams, assign tools, and the team leader will give the Job Hazard Analysis and Safety Debrief at the trailhead. One crew will enter at Dyer Gap. The second will enter at Watson Gap. If a third team is needed, they will enter at Watson Gap and work towards the Jacks River Trail.
NOTE: The roads from Home Depot to Watson Gap are drivable with any vehicle. The roads to Dyer Gap can be driven by most vehicles — some degree of caution is advised.
• If you believe you are in a high risk group, please evaluate whether going on this maintenance trip is worth the potential risk.
• Individuals should consider whether carpooling is increasing his / her personal risk.
• Masks are optional, but social distancing should be maintained as much as possible.
• We will not have food at the conclusion of the work trip.
• Crews have a maximum of 10 (including the leaders).
• Multiple crews can operate at the same time, but they must be working in different locations.
BMTA members and guests must recognize there are risks and responsibilities involved and be willing to assume these risks. In order to participate, members and guests are required to sign a waiver of liability at the beginning of each BMTA event. If the parent does not accompany a minor, the disclaimer for minors must be signed in advance.