BMTA ACTIVITY CALENDAR
BMTA normally schedules four or five hikes per month, some “leisure” hikes that are shorter and easier and some 5 to 8 miles and of moderate difficulty. In addition, we have occasional backpacking hikes and more difficult ones that might be called “hardy hikes.” Occasionally we co-sponsor hikes with other organizations. Some, but not all, of our hikes are “dog friendly.” Although more hikes are in Georgia than the other states, you will find hikes in all three BMT states: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
GA Work Trip August 14
Time: 8:30 AM
Where: Section 8a (Bushy Head Gap » Hudson Gap)
Where: Section 8b (Hudson Gap » McKenny Gap)
Where: Section 8c-d (McKenny Gap » Fowler Mt.)
Where: Section 8e-f (Fowler Mt. >> Double Hogpen Gap)
Where: Section 8g-h (Double Hogpen Gap >> Dyer Gap)
Where: Section 10c-d Hemp Top Trail » Double Spring Gap)
Meeting Location: Home Depot Parking Lot, Blue Ridge, GA, nearest the Dairy Queen
Plan for the Day: After check-in, safety briefing and job hazard updates we will break into crews:
- Crew 1: Section 8a – Blowdown and Brushing
- Crew 2: Section 8b – Brushing and Water Diversions
- Crew 3: Section 8c-d – Side Hilling and Blowdowns (8d)
- Crew 4: Section 8e-f – Brushing and Blowdown (8f)
- Crew 5: Section 8g-h – Blowdowns and Blazing
- Crew 6: Section 10c-d – Brushing with Swingblades
*We need brushcutters/weed whackers. If you have one,
please feel free to bring it. They are much more efficient than swingblades!
*Crew 6 will require an 8-10-mile round trip hike in from Dally Gap. This is a wilderness area so we will be using swingblades. If you don’t mind the hike in and out, please request Crew 6!
What to Wear and Bring: Minimum 2 liters of water, long pants, boots, gloves, helmets and lunch/snack. The weather report is hot and humid with a chance of showers. Come prepared for sun and rain.
As RSVPs come in, the work plan will be finalized/modified.
There will be plenty of work for everyone!
Our goal is to finish work by 12:00 PM and be done and gone by 1:00 PM.
* Be sure to let me know if you prefer an easier, moderate or more strenuous assignment for the day.
Watch for additional information in emails and on the BMTA website!
Please RSVP: So we can plan tools and other PPE, please contact Bob Cowdrick at firstname.lastname@example.org or (678) 215-5276 or complete the form below to sign up for this trip.
- If you believe you are in a high risk group, please evaluate whether going on this maintenance trip is worth the potential risk.
- Individuals should consider whether carpooling is increasing his / her personal risk.
- Masks are optional, but social distancing should be maintained as much as possible.
- We will not have food at the conclusion of the work trip.
- Crews have a maximum of 10 (including the leaders).
- Multiple crews can operate at the same time, but they must be working in different locations.
RSVP GA Work Trip August 14
BMTA members and guests must recognize there are risks and responsibilities involved and be willing to assume these risks. In order to participate, members and guests are required to sign a waiver of liability at the beginning of each BMTA event. If the parent does not accompany a minor, the disclaimer for minors must be signed in advance.